3.26.2012

easter eggs

March is quickly coming to an end and spring is in full gear. With Easter only a couple weeks away, it is the perfect time to bring a little spring color to your tabletop. These are photos from last year's Easter eggs. I plan to try this again this year using Kool-Aid instead of food coloring. After a lot of experimentation dying coffee filters, (see here) I determined that Kool-Aid produces brighter more vibrant colors than food coloring.

I allowed the hard-boiled eggs to cool and then applied sticky-back letters and numbers to the eggs. We were having a dinner party the following night, so I decorated an egg for each guest and used them as place holders.


Mix 2 teaspoon white vinegar with 1 cup boiling water and about 20-30 drops of food coloring. I used mason jars for each color. I experimented with the length of time the eggs remained in the dye and double dyed some eggs to achieve a brown color with orange and blue undertones.

 Allow the eggs to dry before carefully removing the sticky-back.

 I found this lovely egg plate at Crate & Barrel.

After a couple days, the eggs were re-purposed into deviled eggs. These are a twist on my husband's grandmother's recipe. We piped the filling into the eggs for a modern presentation and topped with paprika for added color.

No comments: