3.11.2012

re-purposed sweater

One of my wool sweaters accidentally found itself in the dirty clothes basket and took a trip through the washer and dryer. It came out of the dryer beautifully felted and child-sized. I used this as an opportunity to re-purpose the material into a couple felted projects. You could very easily re-purpose an old, unworn sweater the same way. I made a pair of cute fingerless gloves using the arms of the sweater and saved the body of the sweater for my second project -- a toy for my furry friend.
To make these gloves, first felt your old sweater by washing it in warm water and drying it completely. Carefully cut the arms off the felted sweater, making sure that both gloves are equal in the length. Cut a 1" long slit in the upper portion of the glove for the thumb. I used a contrasting pink yarn to reinforce the thumb hole. Re-wash and dry the gloves. This will re-felt the material and ensure that the gloves do not unravel along the edge.

No comments: